Occasional Contributor
jwb0208

InterContinental Ambassador - Free Weekend Certificate

Just received my IC Free Weekend Certificate for renewing my Ambassador membership. I noticed it has changed since last year as now you have to book your complimentary weekend night by going to intercontinental.com/AMBWeekend. The problem is the rates for this promotion are considerably higher than the regular rates so it's not that great of deal. Somehow that doesn't seem right... What do you think?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vincenttaywb

Re: InterContinental Ambassador - Free Weekend Certificate

Hmmm .... If we had to book the free weekend night together with a more expensive room night then IHG Ambassador is not giving justice and value to Ambassador members. The first night rate should be the same rates and package as any other publicly available rates.

IHG owe us an explaination. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

[ Edited ]

Hi The statement is incorrect. Here is what IHG states on their website:

Do I have to book a specific rate when using the complimentary weekend night certificate?

Ambassadors need to book on the Ambassador Weekend Rate ("AMB Certificate") in order to claim their free weekend night. Certificate is only valid on the second night of a minimum two night paid weekend stay and is not valid in conjunction with Reward Night bookings or any other free night offer. The Certificate is not valid on any other rates or for suite bookings. Advance reservations required. Rooms on the Ambassador 'Weekend rate' are subject to availability

This means, that for your stay you use a rate that is comparable to the best flex rate. I recently used a cert and my first night cost $180 while the second showed a rate of over $500. Since I only got charged for the first night my total was about $200 including taxes. So it is advisable to check the rates first and then decide if you want to use your BOGO cert. Sometimes you find rates that are cheaper than you would have to pay by using your cert. Previously, with your cert you could book any rate and then show up at the hotel and give them the cert. This allowed one to book a suite and stay in the suite for the free night. So the flexibility to decide what rate and room category to use has changed and no one has to use the special Ambassador "Weekend Rate"

Nothing comes easy...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vincenttaywb

Great. Thanks for the explaination.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.